Monday, February 20, 2012

Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Buggers in Your Ears


I should have threatened Taye months ago that if he didn’t blow that three year old nose of his really honking good that he would get buggers in his ears. You must give a three year old a very concrete image if you want them to buy into your requests.

Taye woke me up at 3:30 a.m. saying, “Mom, let’s wake up early.” I strongly encouraged him to go back to sleep.

He squirmed and squirmed and finally he said that his ear hurt.  Then began the hunt for the Tylenol and I came up dry.  I had some numbing ear drops, so I pursued that route until I could get to a store combined with sit on mamas lap, head erect therapy at 4 am.  Mickey Mouse Playhouse was creating an early morning ambiance by then ,” Hot dog, hot dog, hot diggedy dog”  and amazingly enough the clock was inching towards 5 a.m.

We just had to make it until 6 a.m. when Safeway would open and we could get the Tylenol.  That stuff works miracles on 3 year old pain. 

Fast forward to 11 a.m:  after visiting the doctor who let me look in Taye’s ear and see this little red bulging bubble—poor boy- we were home, now armed now with Amoxicillin.  I filled the spoon with that magical pink liquid and asked Taye if he wanted to do it himself. He replied he did and I looked away and when I looked at him just one or two seconds later he had the spoon at his ear and was trying to figure out how to get that magical pink medicine into his ear canal! Hot diggedy dog, I saved the day and explained he must drink that pink stuff. Didn't make much sense since his ear hurt.
 
Did I mention that when we were at Safeway some Girl scouts were selling cookies.  Bulging ear or not Taye was up for buying some cookies.  My mama heart wants to buy him whatever he wants because of his pain, but I am thinking of myself and  if I buy those cookies I will eat two thirds of the box.  So, I told him he could get something special in Safeway.  I was still soft hearted.  First he wanted a Mickey Mouse cake.  I steered him towards cupcakes.  Do you know that Safeway wouldn’t sell me less than 12 cupcakes?  12 cupcakes, uhh, Girl Scout cookies.  Yes, please question my decision making process. In retrospect I should have just paid for 12 cupcakes and taken one home, but that didn’t occur to me at the time. Or any of a plethora of alternatives. 

Cup Cakes and Amoxicillin are good medicine!


In the end Taye has agreed to be the best nose blower ever, because he doesn’t want that to happen again. 

Now if I could only make the same connections for myself with food! Yet, cupcakes are great with a cup of coffee, yet those concrete consequences, but until next time, yum, yum, hot dog, hot dog, hot diggedy dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment